[LUAU] Google calendar?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Jul 5 12:56:28 PDT 2007

J. David Beutel wrote:
> Julian's webcal URL looks good.  It's by Drupal and I just noticed some
> nice calendar pages on www.hosef.org (also by Drupal, I assume).  On the
> web site's calendar, there are some events in the coming months, but the
> webcal seems to be limited to 1 month from today (despite the all/all in
> its URL).  Is this intentional (e.g., because later events are still
> tentative or something)?
>
> Please don't take this as a criticism or task.  It's not a problem for
> me, even if it's unintentional.  The calendar integration looks pretty
> young.  E.g., http://drupal.org/node/97294  But good enough to use already.

You just nailed the systemic reason why the calendar is not quite as
active as it used to be.  We ran postnuke for years, and it had a
*great* calendar.  I could do things like enter recurring events, and
you could see years in advance and behind.

For security reasons we moved to Drupal.  The calendar is adequate, but
we have not yet bonded.  Julian shared some tricks for entering
recurring events (importing a CSV), but I have not spent any time with
it.  I have not satisfied the spirit of FOSS by contacting the
developers to see how we could help to make it better.  Soon, perhaps.

> If anyone is looking for ways to encourage attendance at HOSEF events, I
> suggest putting the webcal URL on the calendar page, in the email
> announcements, etc.  If people subscribe to it, so they see it on their
> regular calendar (e.g., Google calendar), then it becomes another
> ongoing, effective channel for promoting the events.

Excellent suggestion, David.  Keep them coming.

> Cheers,
> 11011011

--scott

--