[LUAU] iPhone - closed as closed can be

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 01:42:04 PST 2007

"We define everything that is on the phone," he said. "You don’t want
your phone to be like a PC...  These [iPhones] are devices that need to
work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them," he said.
"That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can
load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all,
but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment."
 - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/technology/11cnd-apple.html

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in hardware DRM to the mix as
well.

Thankfully there's alternatives:

http://www.openmoko.com/press/
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone