[LUAU] University dumps Cisco VoIP for Asterisk

808blogger 808blogger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 11:49:56 PST 2007

I drank beers with the network designer for that setup during the recent
astricon, as I run a local "ITSP" (or whatever the heck they are called)
voip network that i have designed and built running asterisk. There were
many factors, for their conversion... The irony of the story is that they
were going to keep the cisco phones simply for the feature that they allowed
dual sip registrations (or a hot backup) to 2 distict sip servers. almost no
other phone does this, currently even the polycom ip650's (the top of the
line polycom with hdvoice) cannot even do this. I just love the irony of the
backend just vaporizing and turning into open source and the end user/phone
wont even know!!

asterisk is the next true killer application. I think its powers are very
understimated currently.

Sean