[LUAU] University dumps Cisco VoIP for Asterisk

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Jan 2 10:06:29 PST 2007

I just saw this at network world news and thought it might be of
interest.  Its a bit dated, and we all know that Hawaii is a bit
behind the curve when
it comes to technology, but perhaps this bodes well for the future.

<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/091206-von-sam-houston.html>

University dumps Cisco VoIP for open-source Asterisk

Sam Houston State University replaces Cisco CallManagers, Nortel PBXs
with Linux-based VoIP and messaging servers

Some organizations consider taking the plunge off of big iron PBX
platforms into IP telephony as being pretty daring, but that's nothing
compared to what Sam Houston State University (SHSU) is doing. The south
Texas school is boldly moving thousands of users off a Cisco VoIP
platform to an open-source VoIP network based on Asterisk.

[...[

"We thought that it will be more cost effective in the long run to go
with an open source solution, because of the massive amounts of
licensing fees required to keep the Cisco CallManager network up and
running,"

<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/080906-asterisk.html?prl>
Asterisk maker preps for growth with $13.8 million investment

By Tim Greene

Open source IP PBX vendor Digium is about to launch a calculated
marketing and packaging campaign it hopes will land its Asterisk
software and products based on it in the networks of carriers, large
corporations, small businesses and even consumers.

Jim