[LUAU] From the Star Bulletin

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Feb 2 12:26:43 PST 2007

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 12:04 AM, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>> One of the assurance we gave the C&C was that the bad sites would be
>> blocked.  We are not in a position to be cavalier about this.  Members
>> of our neighborhood board have pressed me on the issue.  DansGuardian
>> and Squidguard are taking care of it through transparent proxying.
>> The K12LTSP makes this very easy.  Tim Newsham has offered to help
>> keep an eye on things.
>
> When Scott says "we" here, he doesn't include >me<.
>
> Note that:
>
> 1) I don't believe in filtering, as filtering makes *you* (the filterer)
> responsible for any/all content that gets through.
> 2) since no filtering is perfect, you will get sued.
> 3) I don't like censorship of any kind.
> 4) I had *nothing* to do with setting this part up, or maintaining it.
> Nor will I in the future.
> 5) You can't build community without privacy.

At any rate, this was the compromise we made to get the wireless network
in place.  I explained to the decision-makers that it was not perfect
and that blocking sites was a cat and mouse game.  We will not get sued.

In order to achieve some goal of community wireless here in Ewa, this is
what we, or I, or whatever, did.  So be it.  Should you pursue similar
goals, Jon, then be advised that you may be asked to make a similar
compromise.  We are using a City funded DSL connection and an AP on City
property, so we cannot make our own rules.

--scott