[LUAU] From the Star Bulletin

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Feb 2 02:04:41 PST 2007

jonr at destar.net wrote:
> Quoting Peter Besenbruch <prb at lava.net>:
>
>> I thought I would pass on this little snippet from today's paper:
>>
>> Ewa Beach basks in free Wi-Fi
>
> What did you all use for your wireless gear and is there any throttling of the
> bandwidth going on? Could there be any legal repercussions if someone is
> downloading illegal content or inappropriate material that could be seen by
> passersby?

Jim donated the Wireless Access Point.  Wilson Chan spent the better
part of a day helping to pull cable.  Jim and I terminated the cable.
One of my friends from the Boys and Girls Club helped me to set up the
computers.  Some photos are here

http://www.hosef.org/gallery2/v/installations/ewabeachpark/

There has not yet been a need to throttle bandwidth.  It took about a
year to get approval for this, and there were a lot meetings involved.
One of the assurance we gave the C&C was that the bad sites would be
blocked.  We are not in a position to be cavalier about this.  Members
of our neighborhood board have pressed me on the issue.  DansGuardian
and Squidguard are taking care of it through transparent proxying.  The
K12LTSP makes this very easy.  Tim Newsham has offered to help keep an
eye on things.

> I would like to maybe try to get our LUG up here to start doing some of the
> things I have been watching you all do for the past few years.

If we can do it, you can do it.

> Just wondering,
>
> Jon

--scott