[LUAU] the OSI is a danger to Software Freedom

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sun Aug 26 14:44:53 PDT 2007

Wasn't it ESR and the OSI who re-purposed Software Freedom as "Open
Source" to make it "safe for business"?

It became about *business*, not about *freedom*.  The rhetoric
changed, and with it, the focus.  Thus the contract law interpretation.

The OSI approved the "Artistic License" as an "Open Source License".
Note that the original Artistic License is NOT a Free Software
License, though
the 2.0 version of same is.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#ArtisticLicense
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#PerlLicense

And yes, if the legal world starts to re-interpret licenses based on
copyright under contract law, then there is a world of hurt about to
happen.   Microsoft could afford to pay almost any amount of
'damages' to co-opt GPL software (including the linux kernel), and
even then there is the issue of who would receive, and then cash, the
check.

As long as its *just* about money, we loose.

I anticipate amicus briefs from SFLC and EFF.