[LUAU] short RHAT?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 13:20:48 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 02:05 -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2006, at 12:03 AM, Julian Yap wrote:
> > Red Hat's early response:
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/promo/unfakeable/
>
> I smell panic.

Probably.  But better this issue crop up now instead of 5 years down the
track.  It sure does complicate the Linux landscape.

> Oracles market cap is nearly 26 X that of Red Hat.
> ORCL:   96.74 Billion
> RHAT:     3.73 Billion

RHAT's around 2.8 Billion now.

Worse would be an Oracle buy out of Red Hat.

> Meanwhile, any customer in a big sales situation with Red Hat now has
> a benchmark to force deep, deep discounts.

This would probably annoy Red Hat the most.

> Question:  You're a Fortune 1000 company... you want to deploy some
> linux, but you require rock-solid support from a company
> with real assets and a real reputation.   Your choices are:
>
> Red Hat, Canonical (Ubuntu), Sun (Ubuntu), Novel or Oracle.
>
> Who do you choose?

I wouldn't say that Oracle has proven anything with their Linux support.

> If you're a current Oracle, PeopleSoft, Siebel customer, its not RedHat.

That's mostly the advantage of dealing with the one vendor.

~ Julian