[LUAU] Its time to simply ban Windoze machines from the Internet

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Oct 19 01:19:56 PDT 2006

Tim Newsham wrote:
>> Its not that simple.   Windows boxes are a heckuva lot easier to
>> populate with the software that creates botnets.   They're an open
>> infection vector.
>
> I don't agree at all.  There are sufficient server and client
> vulnerabilities in *BSD, linux, OS X and windows.  Many of the attacks
> don't even rely on any software vulnerability but on the poor judgement
> and bad practices of end users.  These same problems exist in the unix
> population.  The software for all aspects of a the malware would be
> substantially similar across all existing popular platforms.  The only
> major differentiator is the return on investment.  Writing attacks for
> windows makes more economical sense for attackers.

I do wonder what effect the human factor will have on the prestige FOSS
enjoys once it becomes more mainstream, especially on the desktop.  Of
course, nearly 70% of web servers are run by Apache.  As I understand
it, a disproportionate number of vulnerabilities are found on the
windows server platform.

> Tim Newsham
> http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

--scott