[LUAU] the term "open source" is dead, says Eben Moglen

Jim Roby jim at jimroby.com
Sat Nov 25 11:31:19 PST 2006

Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2006, at 11:40 PM, Jimen Ching wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Jim Thompson wrote:
The idea of charging for software came way after there was an
established community of free software developers.  Why do you think RMS
believes that sharing software was natural?  People at MIT has always
shared software.  The idea of proprietary software was the radical idea.
At least back then.

My two cents: In the world of the PC, this was a very strong tone.The
original IBM machines
all came with a Rom chip that would boot you into GW Basic if nothing
else was found,so you could start writing your own software.Most
executable programs were Com files that could be
disassembled with Debug.It was M$ that forced the switch to Exe files so
the code would be more protected. The world of mainframes was business
dominated and very different.

--
 You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it.
                   -Malcolm X

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
                   -James Madison

"This so-called ill treatment and torture in detention centers, stories of which were spread everywhere among the people, and later by the prisoners who were freed ... were not, as some assumed, inflicted methodically, but were excesses committed by individual prison guards, their deputies, and men who laid violent hands on the detainees."
                  -Rudolf Hoess, the SS commandant at Auschwitz

 The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders...tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.
                   -Herman Goerin

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
                   -Maj Gen. Smedley Butler,USMC
     Awards for Valor include (2) Congressional Medals of Honor