[LUAU] the term "open source" is dead, says Eben Moglen

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sat Nov 25 02:44:38 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> In order for society to function, we must all express a basic level of
>>> caring for, and empathizing with, our fellow human beings (as well as
>>> other life forms on this planet, and, indeed, the planet itself.)
>>
>> Gee, who's imposing their believe on whom now?
>
> I take it you disagree.

On some things, yes.

> I'm sure I know the history of Project GNU (and the FSF) at least as well as
> you do.

I didn't say the history of Project GNU or the FSF.

> It is expressly *NOT* true that all software was originally Free Software.
> Much of it was, to be true, but DEC charged for software, as did Data General
> and CDC.

I never said 'all software'.  But, I admit I also wasn't clear about which
software I was refering to.  In any case, you are correct.  Some software
were proprietary back then.

> rms believes that sharing software is best for society, not that it was
> originally all free.  Witness:
>
> reference: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html
>
> rms will be here in January, you can ask him yourself.

Why?  Did I say anything about what RMS believed or not?  I don't think
so.  I said RMS worked in an environment where software was shared.

> What rights do you have to something I make, other than those that I give to
> you?

The rights given to me by the U.S. government?  That's assuming we had
some kind of business transaction.

> I also don't understand why my "livelyhood" depends on the software
> in-question.  It may be a game I enjoy.

Sure.  But you might be running a _business_ on another piece of software.
You didn't say what software you were using, so I assumed the worst case.

One more thing.  Why are you twisting everything I say and arguing with me
on every word?  It seems like I'm speaking Chinese and some software is
translating it into something that would come out of the mouth of the
devil.  Have I _said_ anything that's not true?  I mean, what I've
actually said, and not what you extrapolated.  I prefer if you don't
extrapolate what I said and make it into something I didn't say at all.
That's really annoying.  It's like you're trying to pick an argument or
something.  Am I that hard to understand?

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org