[LUAU] further thoughts on Sun using the GPL for Java

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Wed Nov 15 10:23:09 PST 2006

Julian Yap wrote:
> > There's the 'Honolulu Coders', which is 'List for discussing both
> > Honolulu Java Users Group and Honolulu Ruby Users group':
> >
> > The list activity has been very quiet since June or so.
> >
> > I tried earlier on in the year to contact the main co-ordinators of the
> > group to try to have them co-ordinate efforts with HOSEF but never got
> > any response back.
> >
> > I thought it was a bit rude since they had Jeff Barr speak at one of
> > their meetings when HOSEF brought him out for TPOSSCON 2006:
> >
> > If anyone from the 'Honolulu Coders' Yahoo! group reads this.  I'd still
> > be interested in co-ordinating some joint efforts.  We're a small island
> > and it makes sense to work together instead of in separate camps.
> >
> > ~ Julian

I was talking about the Hawaii/Honolulu Java User Group:

https://hjug.dev.java.net

which is part the worldwide java network, but nothing is happening there.

I don't know if anyone on the isles are closely following the
developments in OpenOffice.org.  Beginning version 2.0.4, OOo is
structured to accept plugins/extensions as does Firefox.  This will be a
major milestone in expanding the features & thus user base of OOo.
NetBeans IMHO is the best platform to develop OOo plugins.

Sun's developers have also made (to me anyway) a major breakthrough in
integrating OOo into NetBeans, allowing OOo to be made a module in
NetBeans.  As far as desktop automations go, this is an exciting
development.  Wayne