[LUAU] Linux Distro (was KnoppMyth)

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Sun May 28 13:55:07 PDT 2006

As I mentioned in previous threads, we have an
OpenSuSE/OpenSolaris/OpenOffice study group here in town.  However,
after two of our key members moved to the mainland, its activity has
been pretty much dormant.  Before forming this group, we have done
extensive studies of most of the major distros.

Personally, I was using Fedora since day 1 it came out (& its
predecessor RH from version 4.2).  I had been religiously downloading
and testing every version of Fedora, including all the betas and RCs,
until FC4.  The last straw that broke the camel's back was Red Hat's
open hostility against java, & its willingness to ignore the dire
consequences that this may result, including a seriously deprecated
Fedora-specific OpenOffice.org.  Of course, this is just me, and you
don't have to listen to my BS.  (The incompatibility between Fedora
repositories is another important consideration.)

As far as using Linux as a hobby is considered, most of the major Linux
distros will do everything you want, if not initially.  The key is
whether that specific distro has the right repositories to allow you
easily install the packages you want, and whether there exists a good
community support.  Fedora is very good in the latter aspect,
essentially every question I posted on the Fedora forum was answered,
one way or another (seems that there are quite a few Fedora consultants
wannabes).