[LUAU] more participation

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Fri Mar 24 17:58:32 PST 2006

Jim Thompson wrote:

> "Mighty Blue" got knocked down via their Consent Decree,
"Consent Decree"?  What consent decree?  (I think you have mixed up the
IBM case with AT&T, Jim.)   In the antitrust case against IBM, DOJ was
clobbered by David Boies, the lead attorney for IBM--the gov dropped the
case b/c Boies showed them that this case should never have been filed
in the first place.

> In any event, IBM found themselves relegated to all but obscurity
> until they "found" linux.
>
> IBM could do some very interesting things with "Cell".   It could be
> cool if all of your high-end
> consumer electronics acted as one large computational grid.  It would
> be still cooler if IBM develops a distributed linux for these devices.
>
> Sony has already announced that the PS3 will run linux on its
> pre-installed 60GB HD, including support for the SPEs.
>
> http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148775
>
> So now we have a real war to watch:  XBox Live (Windows) .vs PS3 (Linux)
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/downloads_doc.html
>
> Will FOSS win out overproprietary software?
>
> Jim
I am curious whether it would be possible to run MythTV on PS3.  Wayne