[LUAU] Seeking volunteers for public service FOSS web development

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Sun Mar 12 19:59:49 PST 2006

My previous message was intended to be a private mail, but for some very
stupid reason, & I profusely apologize, it was sent to the LUAU list.

The call for LUAU perusers and/or other volunteers to develop a web
system as part of ACLU's Juvenile Justice Project is a very worthy one.
Very urgent indeed.  However, having worked with Hawaii's non-profit
orgs for quite some time (& having been a LUAU "member" almost since its
inception), I don't know whether we can really find help from our local
tech community to design AND operate web pages for them.

Several local web service providers (can't remember their names offhand)
have done just that.  But the needs greatly exceed the resources that
can be provided.

It is of course great if our local tech community can extend direct
helps along with a long-term commitment.  But my thought was, for the
longer run & for a wider reach of beneficiaries, it may be a workable
alternative if we can put together a package so those who need a web
presence can easily design their own, and maintain it themselves (this
was one of the main purposes of the demo that I was talking about).  I
know there are quite a few such packages available & many will call this
silly thought reinventing of an old wheel.  But, anyway, my purpose of
this message is to retract (& apologize for) my previous post that was
inadvertently sent.  Mahalo.  Wayne