[LUAU] the backlash against Apple has started, enabled by Ubuntu (*)

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Jun 29 13:37:01 PDT 2006

First Mark Pilgrim, now Cory Doctorow:

> Mac guru and software developer Mark Pilgrim recently switched to
> Ubuntu Linux after becoming fed up with proprietary Mac file-
> formats and the increasing use of DRM technologies in the MacOS.
> I've been a Mac user since 1984, and have a Mac tattooed on my
> right bicep. I've probably personally owned 50 Macs, and I've
> purchased several hundred while working as an IT manager over the
> years. I'm about to make the same switch, for much the same reasons.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/29/mark_pilgrims_list_o.html

I was just contemplating moving the 12" G4 PowerBook, (which ever
increasingly seems to struggle with MacOS) to kubuntu.

The reverse-engineered Broadcom driver (Airport Extreme card) is
included in "Dapper Drake" (6.06):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx?
action=show&redirect=WifiDocs%2FDevice%2FAirportExtreme

Sun just called this morning to collect their try-n-buy T2000 back.
(Sigh... I was so hoping that they'd forgotten it.)
I'm sure they'll be amused (assuming they look) to see that its
running Ubuntu instead of Solaris.  Sure was fun to see linux probe
and enable "32" CPUs
(8 threads x 4 cores).

Jim
(*) sad that Kubuntu doesn't get more mention, since its obviously
superior, but hey, thats the way the brand cookie crumbles.