[LUAU] Ubuntu... Legalities

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Jun 9 02:40:32 PDT 2006

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> I really wish someone could have shown me his/her Ubuntu installation so
> I wouldn't have to waste the past weekend.  But I understand we all have
> our priorities.

In the interest in saving future weekends, please know that you can come
by McKinley any Saturday to see an Ubuntu installation.  In fact, as we
grow our inventory of pre-installed and ready-to-donate, or sell,
computers, we have constant opportunities for any of you to hone your
installing skills.

Just tonight, as part of my UH Outreach talk, I dazzled and bewildered a
good crowd of 20 with the Ubuntu Desktop.  I have nearly turned these
presentations into performance art, and they keep getting better.
Better than showing off the Desktop and explaining the beauty of FOSS
was booting off a Live install CD and performing a live install.

When I show how we can boot an ewaste thin client off of a faster
server, jaws drop.  With a UH crowd, folks really appreciate that FOSS,
enabled by the GPL, institutionalizes sharing.  They also appreciate
that FOSS has brought the academic virtues of transparency, integrity,
and peer review to software development.

Oh, with respect to the core of this thread - Free Wireless is coming to
places in Hawaii where folks would have never expected it.  Things do
change.  While the crabs bite, the fact remains that two distinct kinds
of people exist - those who find problems and those who find solutions.
  Hawai`i will always attract the latter.

    Wayne

--scott