[LUAU] Ubuntu... Legalities

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Jun 7 04:06:32 PDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Maddog wrote:

>> And it will change.   I've been doing hotel WiFi in various
>> guises  since 1998.   Wayport had over 1,000 hotels when I left.
>> It will  change in Hawaii slower than elsewhere because there is
>> no business  requirement driving the hotels here.  Hawaii is a
>> resort  destination.  People come here to play.  That said, even
>> Disney's  hotels are going free wireless.
>
> Good point.
>
> I would love to see it change here I just don't see the hotels
> driving it. They are too bent on making a dollar off of it.

Buy me beer sometime, and I'll tell you the tales.  Things like the
VP of Marketing for Wyndham wanting to invent a way
to project ads on the surface of water in your toilet bowl.   (My
response, "You want a heads-down display?" didn't win me any friends
that day.)  Same guy wanted to charge a percentage of the contents
protected by the in-room safe.

> Maybe that's why we are the priciest resort destination. Anyway,
> change will be slower than you or I ever imagined here IMHO.

Actually, I'd bet that the first real downturn will bring a scad of
"free wifi" from the hotels as they panic, especially in the lower-
end chains. The primary metric for hotel management is REVPAR,
(REVenue Per Available Room), and the primary inputs to REVPAR are
occupancy and the rack rate.   As soon as a lack of Internet services
(and most people would rather connect via WiFi) is perceived by hotel
management as a primary (or even secondary) cause for a drop in
occupancy or having to discount the rack rate (in order to fill the
rooms), it will be installed, and it will be free-to-guest.   I saw
this happen first in the extended stay space, where the guests would
preferentially book rooms where they had a T1 connected to in-room
Ethernet, and then would stay where it was "free to guest" (bundled
into the price of the room).

Then Wyndham started giving away IP networking if you were part of
their affinity program in an effort to attract folks away from
Marriot and Starwood.  It worked, so Marriot went free-to-guest in
those segments where they had to compete (Courtyard, Residence Inn,
Spring Hill Suites, Fairfield Inn and Towne Place Suites).  Wingate
and other chains followed suit.  Hilton turned up their "Garden Inn"
chain (as free to guest).  Then LaQuinta (who had been refusing to
even pay attention to offering Internet access) went and installed in
every hotel (chain-wide) and turned it all on ... for free.   Why?
Because their hand was forced.

Yes, you still pay in the higher-end brands, but most of the people
who stay in these hotels aren't the kind who live-and-die by access
to their email/Exchange and back-end (VPN-protected) applications.

And, oh, btw, I managed to keep all of Wayport's airport
installations (some of which cost nearly $500,000 to install) as
'free' for the longest time.   It was easier to treat it as a
marketing expense than to make the changes to the billing system to
accommodate how the airport authorities wanted to 'split' the meager
fees.   And yes, we could see real results in folks who used the
(free) WiFi at the airport in-turn preferentially staying at Wayport
hotels.   Then we got the new Neanderthal CEO who insisted that the
world would not "go free" or "go 802.11" (despite clear evidence to
the contrary) and the rest is history.    His "big deal" now is WiFi
in McDonalds, and that deal has several provisions which allow
McDonalds to turn it on 'for free' when they so desire.

> I'd love to see a free model that could make it here, I guess I am
> just too skeptical or cynical or something like that. Besides even
> if the hotels come around, you have the politicians to deal with!

The politicians don't own the hotels, so they have little say.

Part of what makes dealing with hotels complex is that you have
several parties to deal with.  You have people who own hotels
(REITs), people who manage hotels (Benchmark, Interstate, Outrigger,
WestCoast), people who brand hotels (Hilton, Marriott) and people who
build hotels.   Sometimes one party will fill more than one role.
You've also got they guys in the back-rooms of the REITs who are
literally playing "Monopoly" flipping hotels in and out of the
portfolio.

Moreover, it costs money to be able to charge money.   Shall I wax
eloquent about PMS interfaces, credit card charge-backs, and the size
of the customer support department you need to be able to deal with
several thousand locations?  Want to know how small those (and other)
issues get when you >don't charge<?

And yes, hotel managers are a capricious bunch.

Just to keep the linux content 'up', Wayport used an on-property
(custom debian distro) linux machine (we called it a 'nmd') at every
location, and still does.   You put 1,000 PeeCees in the world in
wildly dispersed locations, with every one responsible for carrying
money back to the mothership and see how you start to look at the
problem.

Then start to deal with 40 or more Windows boxes that you've *never
seen before* attached to the hotel network every night, all with
their own unique collection of spyware and viruses, and some of whom
are piloted by ... well, lets just call them 'bad actors' who are out
to damage the network, send spam, or download things that are
prohibited, which result in subpoenas from various law enforcement
agencies (up to and including the FBI).   (*)

It turns out that having the source code, and being able to make
changes to it (fixing bugs, changing behavior, etc), and then
distribute these changes easily (and at no charge) is a "Good
Thing" (tm).

Jim

(*) Back to the subject, if you don't bill, you don't have to keep
the information around to justify the billing, and, as a result, the
FBI (and other LEAs) know to just not bother to ask.