[LUAU] Ubuntu... Legalities

Maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Tue Jun 6 08:13:40 PDT 2006

My point was that most folks will pay for convenience. Most folks will pay
for a Linspire or Mandriva edition because it has all the conveniences built
in (i.e. an autoplay DVD player, etc.). As far as marketing crap I believe
you way oversimplified it. If people will pay for it you now have a business
model.

You nailed it with your statement about valuing freedion over market share.
The only folks in that boat are the folks with the technical know how, time
and drive to make a FOSS product work (highly intelligent guys like
yoursself). Can you put together a Debian or Ubuntu, et al system for free?
Yes. Will the majority of folks in the world take the time to do it and
troubleshoot it when it breaks? No. Not because their time is not free but
because they can pay Mandriva $129 and get a working system out of the box
and when it breaks they can contact somone to fix it.  That is worth $129
and that is why Mandriva is succeeding.

As far as Wi-Fi being free. Who are you kidding? There is no such thing as a
free lunch. Here in Hawaii the old boys all want a cut. It will never be
free here. I ran into a guy the other day who is proposing totally free
Wi-Fi. Heh, it's supported by driving folks to his website to buy products
and services (and the hotels are resisting because if someone buys something
from the website while on hotel property, they want a cut) and if it doesn't
work (i.e. make his site more profitable)? It'll shut down. There is going
to have to be some kind of business model to support  free hotspots.
Bandwidth and equipment cost money and I don't see any companies lining up
to donate either.

MD