[LUAU] Wireless in Honolulu

Maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Sat Jul 1 19:33:21 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Thompson" <jim at netgate.com>
To: "LUAU" <luau at lists.hosef.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [LUAU] Wireless in Honolulu

> On Jul 1, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Maddog wrote:
>
>> I stand corrected. Wireless Waikiki.org has a coverage map and it
>> appears free although it is a small area.
>>
>> Jim, how big an area do they intend to blanket? How will they pay  for
>> it? Is it supported through their commercial endeavors? If so,  won't
>> deploying free wireless sort of kill their own income stream?  It seems
>> to me they have Waikiki blanketed with for pay wireless  already.
>
> You should ask Shakanet (nam.vu at shaka.net), I'm just trying to get  the
> equipment stable.  I think the plan is to get a lot bigger once  the
> software is ready (points to self...)
>
> In my conversations with Nam, its the kiosks that are the core of  their
> revenue.

So that begs the question. If the kiosks are the core of the business and
they make wireless access free, what prompts me to pay for internet access
on a kiosk? If that becomes the case then how does shakanet plan to
subsidize access? That is where the business model gets tricky.

Radio is "Free" but not really. If you don't patronize the advertisers then
they pull their ads. Problem is that in Hawaii there are only so many
advertisers. You can't go to another market close by to attract new revenue.
Since the 80's there have been a dozen rock stations that have come and
gone, including KPOI.

MD