[LUAU] Is Google going to create its own Linux distro?

prb at lava.net prb at lava.net
Tue Jan 31 18:14:17 PST 2006

Jim Thompson wrote:

>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Try telling that to RedHat, or any of the other linux distro vendors.
>>

>> I would, but Red Hat is the one telling us that Linux isn't ready  for
>> the desktop, and that we should all run Windows, instead. They  said
>> it rather loudly. http://www.silicon.com/software/os/
>> 0,39024651,39116741,00.htm
>> Granted this was the tail end of 2003, but nothing from Red hat
>> indicates that they have changed their position.
>

> Redhat introduces its "Desktop" product in mid 2004.
>
> http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/04/11/06/1831257.shtml?
> tid=111&tid=116
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5205117.html
>
> https://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/rhel/compare/client/#tableD

Which basically has done very little.

> Novel (SUSE) has one too.

Indeed, one can argue that Suse's is a more serious product, but
adoption  has been limited.

> Oh sure, because nobody knows what Google is doing (it may even be a
> fake), but take a gander at these:
>
> http://www.generation-nt.com/images/biblio/soft_os/000000006925.png
>
> http://images.google.com/images?q=google%20OS

Now that's interesting. I assume it's OpenOffice simplified to the point
  of hiding most menu items. We shall see.
--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky