[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Stan Baptista sbaptista at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 22:39:05 PST 2006

>this means they reflexively shy away from
>associating it with doing serious business.

This definitely seems to be the case in Hawaii but
there's probably a bit more to it.  Vegas has a major
marketing campaign going on these days about "what
happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".  Exactly which part
of that is about "serious" business?  And yet major
business conventions, tech and otherwise, are held in
Vegas on a regular basis year after year (Comdex
anyone?).

Same is true about the theme parks in Orlando (Disney,
Epcot, Universal...).  Lot's of fun in the sun there
but it really doesn't stop "serious business" in the
form of conventions from ocurring regularly.

The dirty little secret about conventions is that
there is _always_ a junket aspect to them and it
doesn't matter whether you're in Minnesota in January
or the Bahamas (or Hawaii).

It's serious business but not business as usual or
ordinary, just different (it's about networking and
taking a break from the rat race that you usually deal
with in Oshkosh or wherever, and refreshing yourself
with new ideas).

In the case of Hawaii, I wonder if it's also about
cost and perception as much as anything else (i.e.,
it's expensive to fly those extra 3K miles from the
left coast and Hawaii simply isn't regared as a
significant tech area).