[LUAU] OSS Providers and Technical Consultants directory proposal

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 01:48:35 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 15:23 -1000, Matt Darnell wrote:
> On 1/29/06, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
> > Matt Darnell wrote:
> >  What companies in town are offering
> > > OSS solutions, what are some migration strategies.  Who are the OSS
> > players
> > > in town, I tend to think of my self as plugged in, and all I know is
> > > Michael, Hoala, and Vince part time.
> >
> > With respect to your list of FOSS service providers, add HOSEF to it.
> > Also - Tim Newsham.  Clifton Royston.  Julian Yap.  Ron Willis.  Kris
> > Hansen.  Scott Thompson.  Jim Thompson.  Scott Belford.  Jeff Mings.  I
> > can go on and on, Matt.  This is the benefit of networking in an Open
> > Source Community.  There are multiple VOIP providers, and, after
> > TPOSSCON, the competition will be heating up.
>
> I am remiss not naming Ron Willis, one of my first OSS contacts, and Clifton
> Royston.  A directory would be super.  Maybe of those folks will take the
> intiative.

This type of directory has been discussed at HOSEF since I have been
here and I would like to expand on it.  There exists a need for this
directory/database, not only for HOSEF's K12LTSP installation support
purposes but for the Hawaii OSS community in general.

I would like to put forth the opportunity for those on the LUAU list to
put their hand up and volunteer the development of this section on the
HOSEF.org web site.  We are able to cater to using and hosting Open
Source technology solutions such as PHP, MySQL, Ruby On Rails, Python,
etc...  This opportunity would ideally suit students who would like to
get the experience building and deploying such a project.  Upon
successful completion of the project I will happily write up a
professional reference.

My initiative or part of this is that I will mentor/project manage the
task.  I will cater to the development environment required, for example
setting up a code version control repository.  I will also participate
in code review and offer timely feedback, etc...

The only provision to the developer(s) is that any code written may
potentially be released under the GPL v2.

If you are interested, please submit your proposals to me via email.
Preferably with a resume and statement on how you would develop this
project.

This _may beg the question, "Why don't I just develop this myself?"  As
a volunteer organization, HOSEF's resources are limited.  By
distributing the workload in a way that follows Open Source
methodologies we achieve more and everyone wins.  So yes, I could show
initiative by doing it all myself but I'm hoping that my proposal sounds
exciting and interesting enough for some of you on this list.  I will be
accepting proposals for the next two weeks (flexible).  If I don't
receive any proposals then you can all go back to your .NET development
in peace.

I would like to also mention that this project should not be viewed as a
once off.  HOSEF has the members (many with more experience than I have)
to further similar projects.

As a background, I am a current member of the HOSEF Board of Directors.

Regards,
Julian
http://julianyap.com