[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 13:39:37 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 07:45 -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Stan Baptista wrote:
> >> Normally a conference is not mic'd up to capture
> > audience questions.
> >
> > So mic them.  Although this thread is discussing the
> > pros/cons of attending a conference and what the
> > topics should be, fact is not everyone can do that.
> > The Q&As are extremely useful.
>
> Thanks, Stan.  I wish we had recorded them.  I brought a wireless mic
> for that purpose, but, it was one of those things that slipped by the
> wayside due to the follies of stress.  Thanks for emphasizing the
> importance.  Next year ..... :-)

Thanks for the timely suggestion.  I'll look into both for the next
conference.

At this early stage, I will either get a flash-based/hard-disk based
recording device or build one...  Yeah, I think I'll build something
hard-disk based.

As for capturing audience questions, the 2 options are:
A. A roving portable microphone recording device.
B. A microphone on a stand at the aisle.  "Please approach the
microphone to ask a question" style.

I prefer the latter as microphone's can get lost in the audience and a
roving microphone is a damn hassle.

Having said all this, there are legal implications to recording and
releasing talks like we have.  Permission needs to be granted and
depending on the company/individual, this can amount to paperwork and
being fed through legal departments.  I'm sure if the content for the Q
and A session for Andre Hill was put up, we'd get a quick Cease and
Desist (or sued) from Novell.

If you attend, you're guaranteed to hear a speaker talk with Q and A
where they go more in depth.  As it is, speakers prepare talks to a
general audience, for general consumption, rated G.

- Julian