[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sun Jan 29 09:28:00 PST 2006

Matt Darnell wrote:
> Jim,
>
>> Guess what?  The HCC is *cheap*.   They want a small percentage of
>> the gate for us.  *C*H*E*A*P*, and its a nice venue to boot.
>
>> What about the WIFI situation would have made your blood boil?  I'm
>> curious.
>
> I thought I heard that they would sell an Internet connection for a large
> sum and would not let you NAT it (not that they could stop you) so people
> were trying to pick up WiFi from across the street.

We set up a brilliant station with Jim's gear from Netgate.  Sorry you
missed it and instead are basing your WiFi impression simply on what you
"heard."

> Wow.  The last thing I want to hear is some CEO pitching his
>> product.   You're unlikely to find one that
>> will come in and talk about their FOSS transition.
>

> I meant a 'regular' company that has started to make the move from
> Microsoft/Novellto OSS.  Did they roll it to the desktop first, did they
> start with servers, what challenges did they face.
>
> I didn't mean CEO of  product xyz ptiching their stuff.

Novell *has* migrated their own stuff.  They address this subject well.
  Rana Dutt definitely could have taught you a few things about big time
VOIP deployments.  I fear, Matt, you are determined to stick to your
opinion in spite of the facts.

> However, you *did* miss Rana Dutt,  Founder/CEO Softel Solutions, Inc
>> talk about transitioning a whole city/county government in
>> Massachusetts to Asteris, something I thought would be right up your
>> ally.
>>
>> You missed a great discussion about DUNDi.   (How will DUNDi change
>> your business, Matt?   What if Kuokua, (also announced at the
>> conference) enabled a federated peer-to-peer VoIP system for Hawaii,
>> with a distributed set of cheap gateways into local POTS lines?  How
>> would that change your business?
>

> I am sure that is a rhetorical question, but in case it isn't, the one time
> I really looked and discussed DUNDi, it seemed to have the all the short
> comings of RIP.

When was this "one time", Matt?  Perhaps your customers and marketplace
need you to give it a second time.

>> Because the interesting things happen at the edges.   The meetings in
>> the halls, the bizcard exchanges at the end, the lunches, the times
>> when someone in the audience asks the tough questions.
>

> I agree, (I learned & networked more during our 1 hour lunch last year than
> at the conf) but like an nuclear reaction....critical mass needs to be
> achieved.
>

>> We're looking at a couple themed "days" next year.
>

> I think that will bring more people.  I am sure most people that didn't go
> looked at the shedule and figured it was the same speakers, different year -
> a lot of the names looked familiar.

Most of the names were not even vaguely familiar.  Aaron Seigo, Robin
Miller, and John Terpstra were my only repeat visitors.

> Thanks for your feedback.   Feedback is a gift.
>
> I'm here to help  :)

We are definitely interested in informed, pro-active, and *timely* help.

> -M

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford