[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Matt Darnell mattdarnell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 02:30:19 PST 2006

Jim,

>Guess what?  The HCC is *cheap*.   They want a small percentage of
>the gate for us.  *C*H*E*A*P*, and its a nice venue to boot.

>What about the WIFI situation would have made your blood boil?  I'm
>curious.

I thought I heard that they would sell an Internet connection for a large
sum and would not let you NAT it (not that they could stop you) so people
were trying to pick up WiFi from across the street.

Wow.  The last thing I want to hear is some CEO pitching his
> product.   You're unlikely to find one that
> will come in and talk about their FOSS transition.

I meant a 'regular' company that has started to make the move from
Microsoft/Novellto OSS.  Did they roll it to the desktop first, did they
start with servers, what challenges did they face.

I didn't mean CEO of  product xyz ptiching their stuff.

However, you *did* miss Rana Dutt,  Founder/CEO Softel Solutions, Inc
> talk about transitioning a whole city/county government in
> Massachusetts to Asteris, something I thought would be right up your
> ally.
>
> You missed a great discussion about DUNDi.   (How will DUNDi change
> your business, Matt?   What if Kuokua, (also announced at the
> conference) enabled a federated peer-to-peer VoIP system for Hawaii,
> with a distributed set of cheap gateways into local POTS lines?  How
> would that change your business?

I am sure that is a rhetorical question, but in case it isn't, the one time
I really looked and discussed DUNDi, it seemed to have the all the short
comings of RIP.

> Because the interesting things happen at the edges.   The meetings in
> the halls, the bizcard exchanges at the end, the lunches, the times
> when someone in the audience asks the tough questions.

I agree, (I learned & networked more during our 1 hour lunch last year than
at the conf) but like an nuclear reaction....critical mass needs to be
achieved.

> We're looking at a couple themed "days" next year.

I think that will bring more people.  I am sure most people that didn't go
looked at the shedule and figured it was the same speakers, different year -
a lot of the names looked familiar.

Thanks for your feedback.   Feedback is a gift.

I'm here to help  :)

-M