[LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

Matt Darnell mattdarnell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 21:12:37 PST 2006

A little late but here are my answers....

Am I going - No

Why? - None of the topics were of much interest to me.  They all had a very
academic feel to them...not practical.  The price was fine, like me, most of
us here, I tip more that in a month.

What would cause me to attend TCON-07?  - I want hear things I can apply to
my business...things that will make me better.  Local CEO's who have
transitioned to OSS, what were the benefits they thought they would gain,
what did they think it would cost - what was the result, how did it
compare?  Are they happy, sad - what were the lessons learned, did they
gain/savewhat they thought the would?  What companies in town are offering
OSS solutions, what are some migration strategies.  Who are the OSS players
in town, I tend to think of my self as plugged in, and all I know is
Michael, Hoala, and Vince part time.

My Comments:

I assume the P in TPOSSCON means the conference hopes to attract people from
around the pacific, Asia and the mainland.  I am not interested in hearing a
bunch of 'OSS' intellectuals speak about the benefits, direction, etc. of
OSS.  I need to know what works, what doesn't work.

I think a smaller venue with smaller rooms would be more effective.  Who
left TCON this year talking about how they couldn't get a seat b/c it was so
packed.  If the conv ctr is a way to get dignitaries from the mainland, it
isn't worth it.  As prestigious as it is to say TCON is held at the conv
ctr, I do not see the benefit.  The WIFI situation would have made my blood
boil.

I think general conferences are dead.  If I subscribed to a couple of
podcasts, I am sure I could hear what the speakers presented, maybe not the
exact same thing, but something similar.  Why would anyone want to come to a
convention just to hear someone speak to some prepared slides, or a listen
to remarks that person has already made 10-20 times already?

Targeted conferences will continue to be successful, IMO, TCON needs to have
a target market....OSS in education, OSS in government, OSS in the
construction industry, OSS - making a smooth transition from Windows to
OSS.  That has a much better chance of attracting the 10-20 people that will
attend every yeae. The CIO of Hackysack PA can convince the mayor for funds
for a trip if they will learn how to save $$$$'s and talk to other like
minded folks.  A general OSS conference is too.....general.

Aloha,
Matt