[LUAU] The Birth of HOSEF - Your LUG in Action

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Mon Jan 2 08:10:13 PST 2006

For those of you who do not know, HOSEF was born right here on this list
nearly four years ago as a way to grow our community:

http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2002-April/007507.html

The idea was partly inspired by The Alameda County Computer Resource Center

http://www.accrc.org/

In the years since then we have had a lot of fun, a lot of us have
gotten to know one another, and we have easily rescued and repurposed
more than a thousand computers.  As the result of our work with schools,
just this week Novell is going to be certifying a lot of our recipients
to become Linux+ Instructors.  Yes, the fruit of HOSEF's work is that
Linux+ certification is now being offered in our public K12 setting.

We've had other milestones such as TPOSSCON, our annual event at The
Hawaii Convention Center.  In the next few weeks we are setting up our
first Gnu Linux Edutainment Center in a City and County Park.  Not only
are we putting 10 Linux workstations in a park in Ewa Beach, but also we
  are putting in Free Wireless for the Community.  (thanks Jim Thompson)

You see, HOSEF is your LUG in action.  We are not your LUG, though, and
this merits some emphasis.  It wouldn't be Hawaii if there were not some
resentful, 'crab in the bucket' repercussions to our work.  While we
were born of LUAU, the closest think to a LUG on Oahu, we don't make any
claim to be *the* LUG of Hawaii.  There is, of course, the BILUG, and
rumor has it that LCC has started a LUG.

I'd like for you to spend time helping us with our mission to promote
and sustain the use of FOSS in Hawaii.  However, if you decide to start
your own LUG on Oahu tomorrow, HOSEF is here to help you with our web
presence, our server resources, our calendar, our 501(c)(3) status, and
more.  LUGs promote and sustain FOSS in a variety of ways, and HOSEF is
here to see that FOSS is promoted and sustained.

Aloha

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford