[LUAU] MythTV Thanks

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Tue Feb 28 00:05:42 PST 2006

I can't remember many of the names, but during the early days of LUAU,
its "membership" comprised quite a few UNIX (Solaris) administrators
from our local military bases who didn't want to see their names
published (thus the name Linux/Unix "Anonymous").  In 1996, the activity
moved to MIC.  At that time, this was the only place on Oahu to learn
Linux (but a very good place).  I remember meeting people who I
identified as founders of Lava.net, Digital Island, WorldPlace (?, just
remember the CEO's last name was Fuch), etc.

During its early days, LUAU was quite inspirational.  Warren (Togami)
was baptised at LUAU (when he was a high school student at Mid-Pac).
One of my former employees (a summer intern, from Kaimuki High) also
learned enough Linux tricks from LUAU (and packed enough experience
elsewhere) to, among many of his other achievements, earn him a full
schoolarship at a prestigious university in the east coast.

With membership turnovers, LUAU lost its lust.  Then out of nowhere,
Warren began revitalizing the mailing list, which was always ongoing
despite its relative inactivity.  Now Vince the Great is the person who
keeps LUAU going.

To me, LUAU =! Hosef.  If I hear more talks about Hosef "owning" LUAU,
then I will simply quit.  Wayne