[LUAU] Myth TV Thanks!

Al Plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sun Feb 26 19:20:43 PST 2006

Matt Darnell wrote:
> On 2/26/06, Julian Yap <julian_yap at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 00:24 -1000, Matt Darnell wrote:
>>
>>>I thought interesting that no one knows why LUAU got rolled into HOSEF.
>>>Their goals are so different.
>>
>>Matt,
>>I'm relatively new around here so I'm wondering what you mean by this?
>>
>>- Julian
>>

> Julian,
>
> Here is a summary of what people were talking about.
>
> Before HOSEF was created, before Luau, there was MPLUG.  Mid-Pacific Linux
> Users Group.  MPLUG was started by Warren Togumi before he went on to bigger
> and better things.  It was a bunch of Linux enthusiasts that would get
> together once a month can talk shop, learn from each other, and build cool
> stuff.
>
> It seems like everything the Linux community does is run by HOSEF.  People
> want to have an autonomous LUAU back.  HOSEF is geared toward bringing Linux
> to the OSS neophytes, LUAU is for newbies-gurus & everywhere in between,
> business owners, solution providers etc.  Of course there is some cross
> over.
>
> There was also talk of having a annual conference as a fundraser to
> highlight OSS in the community - j/k
>
> You should come next build, you can ask the 'old-timers' - people over 30
> about the good old days.
>
> -Matt

Matt,

I believe LUAU was created way back before I started to go there to the
meetings in the 1990's when it was held at the UH Innovation Center.
Gary Sublett got me interested, but he has since moved back to Kentucky.
I see him answer on line occasionally so he may be able to give more of
a time line history.

There has always be an up and down pull in interest for LUAU and the
name was maintained for a mailing list identity.

I am glad to see you guys are doing some installs and learning sessions
again. Excellent work!

Al Plant

  -- Webmaster- http://hawaiidakine.com Admin- http://freebsdinfo.org --
Supporting Open Source Computing - - FreeBSD 4.11/6.* -- Debian Linux 3*
"All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carroll