[LUAU] Re: ROK Linux Plan & LUAU Co-op Library

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Mon Feb 20 11:46:16 PST 2006

A few years ago, the ROK gov budgeted over $100M USD to try to boost
their entertainment industry.  Now the Korean soup operas are so
proliferating (& so addictively popular) that the Taiwan government a
couple of months ago was considering banning Korean soup operas during
the prime time (and, of course, this idea was quickly shot down).  Last
year, I was having lunch with a high ranking official from China's
Science & Technology Ministry.  He mentioned that if someone can develop
a Linux (or Linux-like) computer system for China, and charges, say, one
dollar per month per head count, in Shanghai alone, this would generate
a revenue in excess of $200M USD a year.  Putting these two and two
together, I believe the ROK gov is eying a much bigger thing.  Whether
these opportunities will spill over to the Isle, I am too old to be
interested, but, hey, the prize is bigger than a powerball lottery.

On the LUAU co-op library, I am glad someone is interested.  Will try to
do some more thinking.  Wayne