[LUAU] Clearing the Vault

Matt Darnell mattdarnell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 02:45:07 PST 2006

On 2/3/06, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:

> We have a vault full of computers that you may be interested in helping
> us put to use.  The vault is leased by CompUSA, and it is full of the
> remnants from when Computers for Kids partnered with CompUSA to store
> computers.  Whatever we don't remove tomorrow will be going to the Gulch.
>
> You heard me right, and this is the way computer recycling works in
> Hawaii.  If HOSEF doesn't take it in, or Computers for Kids doesn't find
> it a home in a school, and the contributor doesn't find a recipient,
> then the equipment goes to the landfill.  There is no computer recycling
> in Hawaii.
>
> Some of the hardware *may* be of value to you in your mythtv endeavor.
> Some of it will be rolled into HOSEF.  We have so very, very much,
> though, that I doubt if I can use much.  So, if you want to help, I will
> give you with hardware booty.
>
> Please reply in thread or in person if you want to meet me there
> tomorrow.  I'll be running our Saturday workshops at McKinley from 10-2.
> I will open the vault around 8:30, and I can leave some of you there if
> you want to dig through the loot and booty.

>From the sound of it, these boxes wouldn't be good for a mythTV box, but
anyone who is looking to build an asterisk PBX box or firewall should grab
one of these - if you are looking to build a firewall, make sure to grab
extra NIC's from boxes that are to be trashed.

Taken from this page -
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning

   - Pentium 133 MHz, 16 megs of ram: Handles up to 3 concurrent SIP
   calls before quality degrades
   - Pentium 1, 166mhz, 32meg ram: Successfully runs 4 SIP calls

-Matt