[LUAU] Re: Goobuntu Linux

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 21:59:48 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 18:40 -1000, prb at lava.net wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote:
> > I think you are (again) dealing in historical artifact.  Yes, most of
> >  the early move was Unix -> Linux, but there is ample evidence that
> >  Linux is now slowly eroding the growth Windows market share,
> > especially on the server.   IDC estimated in late 2004 that linux was
> > growing twice as fast as Windows in the "volume server" (< $25k)
> > market.    In late 2004, IDC estimated that Windows had a 32% market
> > share of the "value server" market (measured by revenue), Unix had a
> > 36% share, and linux  a 9% share.  (I have no idea what "other" might
> > have been.)
>
> The data also indicates that most of the switches are still from Unix.
> What Linux did was limit Windows' expansion into the Unix server market.
> Over the next few years, I suspect Linux growth will taper off, as will
> Windows.

You're ignore emerging markets/countries.

For example, HOSEF provides server technologies for Hawaiian public
schools which would not be able to afford a Windows solution or
otherwise in the first place.

I'm working on a project with HOSEF and Liholiho Elementary school
which will provide central authentication (through OpenLDAP) and file
and printer sharing (through Samba).  You could call it an Microsoft
Active Directory equivalent. This will allow their Linux servers (),
Linux clients, Mac clients and Windows clients to all be on the same
network allow for roaming profiles.

Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable on the economics of Windows
licensing can fill me on what would be the cost to set that up for ~330
students?  We're talking Windows Server 2003 and CALs for users and
students here.

Apply this to countries globally which cannot afford Windows on
the desktop or server.  So you're saying there's no growth potential
for Linux in China/India/African countries?

Market size 2006 < Future Market size

Reason why Windows server market share takes longer to displace is also
because of a company's current support personnel and the CTO who
holds some Microsoft certification and clings to it for dear life.

This will change and is changing.

What represents the future?  Education and let's use the example of
certifications.  A few years ago, there weren't _any Linux
certifications.  Now you have CertCities.com calling the Red Hat
Certified Engineer the Hottest Certification for 2006
(http://www.certcities.com/editorial/features/story.asp?EditorialsID=95).

Today's RHCE will represent tomorrow's CTO.

- Julian