[LUAU] Anyone use a Linksys NSLU2? USB hard disk drives are FOSS friendly?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Dec 27 22:06:08 PST 2006

Julian Yap wrote:
> Things are starting to get unwieldy and the amount of HD storage
> required for files which can be offloaded (namely music, photos) has
> increased to the point where I need to consider other storage options.
> Basically I want a cheap NAS (and that cheap to run, so not a PC).
>
> Anyone use a Linksys NSLU2?  Any good?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2
>
> Recommend any of the alternative firmwares on this site over any of the
> others?
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

Aloha Julian

I have noticed these two packages available in the debian world.

slugimage

NSLU2 firmware image manipulation utility
This is the slugimage program, which can be used to manipulate
NSLU2 firmware images.

upslug2

utility to upgrade the firmware of a LinkSys NSLU2 via the network
upslug2 is a command line program intended to allow the upgrade of a
LinkSys NSLU2 (Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives) firmware
to new or different versions.  When a NSLU2 in the local network is put
in upgrade mode, upslug2 can connect to it and upload a new firmware.

upslug2 will accept a full firmware image but it can also upgrade the
flash from individual files holding the kernel, ramdisk and root
filesystem.  upslug2 provides status information during the upgrade
process and verifies the written image after the upgrade.

> ~ Julian

--scott