[LUAU] Love of disagreements

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Dec 22 01:45:57 PST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Eben Moglen has participated in a great many technical discussions.
> Its part of his vocation (job) and avocation (the thing he loves).

Do we have the same definition of technical?  I'm talking about technical
software discussions.  I.e. design, implementation, etc.  If Eben Moglen
participates in these discussions, then this is the first time I've heard
of it.  Are there any references?  I would be very interested to hear his
thoughts on OOP.

> Scott didn't say "LUAU = HOSEF; HOSEF = LUAU;", I did.

http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2006-December/017515.html
<qoute>
Jim is correct that HOSEF=LUAU, and you are correct that LUAU is not owned
by HOSEF.
</qoute>

> Your fears and statements are both unfounded and untrue.
> I formally ask that you withdraw them.

I don't know how to withdraw a fear.  But I don't really know what an
untrue fear is.  As for my statements; I made a few that I hope are
unfounded and untrue.  It would be a relief.  But I need to talk with
Scott to make sure.

If there are other statements that I made that you believe are untrue and
unfounded, please qoute specifically.

> I never said that I (or anyone, including "HOSEF", the organization) "ows"
> LUAU.

As you can see from Scotts qoute above; even he recognizes that I know
HOSEF doesn't own LUAU.  I don't know why you insist on repeating
something that I already know and agree with.

> Finally, in order to steer this back to a topic we can all engage in, "Free
> Software" is expressly *NOT* about creation of source code and the sharing of
> this source code.
> Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute,
> study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four
> kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

You know what amazes me.  Even when we basically agree, you have to
disagree with me.

When I say "sharing of this source code", doesn't it connote "copy,
distribute, study, change and improve?"  I mean, these are the exact
activities that sharing source code will benefit.  I'm just curious, what
did you think I meant when I said 'sharing of this source code?"

Looks like disagreeing with me has become your hobby...

--jc

P.S.  Just as an experiemt: 2 + 2 = 4.  And I mean it too!  :)

Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org