[LUAU] HDs for mirrors.hosef.org

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Tue Dec 19 14:51:46 PST 2006

Vince Hoang wrote:
> 3ware makes the only SATA cards that I have personally known to
> work over the past 3 years and a 4-port card will run about $300.
> Silicon Image makes sub-$100 cards, but I have not used them in a
> year. Adaptec ships too many cards to make any sense of.

If we choose to move to SATA drives we will get better hardware at a
better price. Western Digital makes a SATA HD specially designed for
RAID. They call it their RAID Edition 2 drives. I'm using them in my
server right now and they have been great so far.

 Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS 500GB Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s 7200RPM Hard
Drive w/16MB Buffer
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101258-9
$169.99 each

 3ware 7506-4LP Parallel ATA RAID Controller Card Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=131711
$258.99

 3ware 9550SX-4LP KIT 4-Port Half Length/Low profile Serial ATA II RAID
Controller Card Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=131700
$324.99

$169.99 X 4 = $679.96 for HDs
$324.99 for 3Ware RAID
$1004.95 grand total

$807.95 - (4) IDE HDs

$197 more for SATA drives

Bottom like for 4 people, the cost would be $250.

Would anyone else like to chip in? Any amount will help. Do I hear $15?
$50? $100? $200?

BTW, I'll be attending the Open Source Pizza tonight -- sounds like a
good one.

> Sticking with PATA would be non-ideal, but it is no showstopper.
> I think 500GB PATA disks should out live their usefulness in 4
> years for file mirror.

Agreed. While the SATA would be great, the IDE would still be bigger
than what's in there now.

Michael