[LUAU] HDs for mirrors.hosef.org

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Tue Dec 19 13:40:23 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 01:56:05PM -1000, Matt Darnell wrote:
> >Perhaps we should let Vince propose which drive(s) to purchase, @ <
> >$200 each.
> >
> >I think we have "three" hands up to buy one and donate.
>
> I think there are four people:
>
> Jim Thompson
> Michael Bishop
> Clifton Royston
> Matt Darnell

Yes. Thanks to Scott for the initial hardware. Thanks to Matt,
Michael, Scott, Warren, and the anonymous HOSEF/McKinley
donations for the second and third round of upgrades.

> I wonder if a SATA add-in card should be added to the wish
> list. I can imagine finding a box to support all the IDE
> devices in four years will be a challenge.

3ware makes the only SATA cards that I have personally known to
work over the past 3 years and a 4-port card will run about $300.
Silicon Image makes sub-$100 cards, but I have not used them in a
year. Adaptec ships too many cards to make any sense of.

Sticking with PATA would be non-ideal, but it is no showstopper.
I think 500GB PATA disks should out live their usefulness in 4
years for file mirror.

-Vince