[LUAU] s/hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors.hosef.org/g

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Sat Dec 16 13:15:32 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 09:39:56AM -1000, Julian Yap wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 09:08 -1000, Matt Darnell wrote:
> > > The ISOs for various releases have squeezed out most of
> > > the updates, so Julian is correct, only updates for the
> > > Debian and SuSE repositories are available. As the ISOs get
> > > larger, the SuSE repository will drop, and finally Debian.

Over the years, I have noticed that the repositories were not
really used much. The mirrored ISOs turned out to be used more
and involved less maintenance, so I have been leaning heavily
towards mirroring smaller projects and the more popular ISOs.

> > Does the current box have room, or can you use them to bring
> > up a seperate server for the updates?
>
> The current HOSEF server at UH is fully loaded with hard disk
> drives.

The last time there was major maintenance, we moved the disks
around to provide much more space between them to allow for
better cooling. We could physically squeeze more disks into the
server now, but we would give up in reliability because the disks
would sit very close to each other and start sharing IDE chains.

If we get a donation of 250-500GB pairs, it would be worth
pulling out the old disks to upgrade. I think donations in the
100GB range would be best served for school servers.

> > I am sure HOSEF has a box it could donate to LUAU.

I have been arguing against more servers and moving most of the
web content off to a hosted facility and using the existing
server mostly for backups and file service.

-Vince