[LUAU] Network printer

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Apr 11 20:37:13 PDT 2006

Bully Soares wrote:
> Anyone got a network printer they want to donate to a school?

We have plenty, but.....

> HOSEF donated a few to us this past year and I'm really thankful for
> that. However, Out of the 4 we were only able to make one work.
> Now that one's on it's 'last leg'

I don't recall 4.  I remember the LJ4 the law firm gave us and that you
wanted.  I think that flaked, so we brought another LJ4 from the East
West Center.

> We're going over the budget for next year and HOPEFULLY we'll be able to
> purchase a couple new ones.
> However, in the interim, we could use another decent one that has about
> 6 months of life left on it.

I went by the school today.  The printer is okay.  The problem was that
its IP address was in a range being allocated by the DHCP server.
Anytime a duplicate address was passed out, it flaked.

I modified the dhcpd.conf file to only hand out addresses in the .100 to
.200 range.  Using CUPS, http://localhost:631, I started the print
queue.  Jobs going back to 3-14-06 printed.  I touched base with the
principal, the teachers, and I introduced myself to the students.  This
gave me the chance to share with them how the computers are eWaste, that
it was a bunch of volunteers who set up the lab, etc.

Some cables were loose and what not, so after some time 15 out of 20 of
the clients are now booting.  5 of the NIC workstations are asking for a
CDROM.  Michael B. has apparently found a fix to this and either he or
Bully will be implementing it.

I ran yumex and got all the packages updated.

> Get in touch with me if you know of something like this.

We definitely have plenty of Laser Printers.  Debbie (TC at Kuhio) is
going to get a few from us on Friday.

> Mahalo,
> Bully

Thanks for letting us know there was a problem, Bully.  Keep up all the
good work at Halau Lokahi, and let us know how we can help in the future.

--scott