[LUAU] Open Source Helping to Drive Tech Hiring

opensource at punacomputer.com opensource at punacomputer.com
Wed Sep 28 13:18:17 PDT 2005

Question: Your company is finding that tech hiring is on the rise, and
one of the reasons is increased reliance on open source. What are
companies looking for and what has your internal hiring experience been?

Benzaken: In general, people are trying to move away from the Microsoft
platform, more towards an open source platform. So there's a lot more
interest in that area. In general, the developers we find in the open
source arena are more self-starters. They're more involved; a lot of
them got involved in open source just to be contributors. They're much
more proactive in terms of being involved in the technology itself.
Those are the kind of people we find, which are very good, especially
internally for us, a start-up, where we need people who are
self-starters; it's very useful to have those skills. The market has
been moving in that direction, I think, away from the Microsoft platform.

continued at:

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/content/3Q/3qpub10-20050927.aspx