[LUAU] RedHat/Fedora

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Sep 29 10:26:02 PDT 2005

Mid of the night and finally got a chance to browse the web.  Suddenly,
a news alert:  Red Hat shares up 25% (thus pushing its market cap to
~$3.5B, I believe).

I am sure everyone remembers this:  Not too long ago, Red Hat was facing
the reality of the Internet/Linux bubble and decided to abandon their
consumer/desktop versions of Linux as part of their corporate-wide
full-retrench strategy to preserve capital and thus to hopefully
survive.  It was our lowly local boy Warren who convinced Red Hat to
recycle their unwanted surplusage into a community project called Fedora.

Now both Novell and Sun are desperately trying to build their own
versions of the Fedora Success (capital "S") model.  Personally, I
believe Warren can claim credits for at least 3 of the 3.5B of Red Hat's
total market capitalization, but who's count?  :-)  Wayne