[LUAU] Slingbox @ CompUSA

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Sep 23 00:52:38 PDT 2005

Jim Thompson wrote:
> DTV (like HDTV without the H) has to be supported by any new TeeVee >
> 13" and all other receivers (such as VCRs, DV
> Ds, etc.) by 2007.
>
> HDTV (by which I mean at least 720p) is a different animal, of
> course.   The first two solutions below will decode > 480p, but
> getting a broadcaster to *send* 720p, 1080i or 1080p is a different
> kettle of fish.  (But hey, I'm over here on the rainy/windward side,
> and DTV is hard to come by anyway.)
>
> DTV on linux can be had for $170 per card (with up to 4 cards in a
> system, for those of you who want to build a MythTV box.)
> http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_3000.html
>
> If you're way itno "just do it in software" (and damn the Broadcast
> Flag, for when they eventually get it passed), then you could spend
> about $650 on a USSR + TVRX from ETTUS Research:
> http://www.ettus.com/   These run GNU Radio
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/
>
> I may end up with one for some "experimentation".   When I do, I'll
> see about bringing it to some meeting or other.
>
> Of course, you'll learn more watching the *other* screen.  :-)
>
> Since I sorta mentioned Software Defined Radio (GNU Radio implements a
> SDR) I should also mention a plethora of SDR-based information here:
> http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/sdr.html
>
> And of course, what every geek HAM wants for Christmas:
> http://www.flex-radio.com/  (Also has a full GPLed SDR stack.)

Good info, but I am afraid you might have strayed a little in the
opposite direction, Jim(my the Geek).  :-) Tim & I were not talking
about (H)DTV, but how to find a cheap way to stream video signals
received from Oceanic Cable, at reduced resolution if necessary, so we
can watch our favorite programs when out of town.

As I mentioned, currently there are two commercial solutions: slingbox
and orb.  The former is a standalone unit but requires a static IP;
whereas, the latter requires a PC but does not appear to require a
static IP.  Both require a proprietary program to be installed at the
client as well the server sites.  I believe this program involves
compression, making it possible to transmit TV signals via home-based
broadbands.  Wayne