[LUAU] Slingbox @ CompUSA

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Sep 22 23:04:02 PDT 2005

Tim Newsham wrote:

>>> Interesting product.  Unfortunately my wee little uplink from
>>> verizon just wouldn't cut it.
>>

>> This is something I am very much interested in finding out.  768kbs
>> may not be as bad as we think (depends on the compression I
>> suppose).  There is another option called ORB, which requires a PC at
>> the transmitting end.  The Sling is a standalone box.
>

> My uplink is consideraly slower than 768kbps.  Try 160kbps-ish.

This is why they invented BitTorrent

>>> I've often wondered why PBS dumps a ton of money into HDTV instead
>>> of streaming their content online.
>>

>> Streaming video is for the general public, whereas HDTV is for those
>> who can afford one.  When the president of CPB used to be a
>> co-chainperson of the you-know-what party, which way do you think the
>> funding is going to go.
>

> You can blame in on the reps if you want, but the HDTV push happened
> under the dems in the late 90s.  "What!?" you say, "The democratic
> senators are against us too!@?"  Yah, its a shocker.

DTV (like HDTV without the H) has to be supported by any new TeeVee >
13" and all other receivers (such as VCRs, DV
Ds, etc.) by 2007.

HDTV (by which I mean at least 720p) is a different animal, of course.
The first two solutions below will decode > 480p, but getting a
broadcaster to *send* 720p, 1080i or 1080p is a different kettle of
fish.  (But hey, I'm over here on the rainy/windward side, and DTV is
hard to come by anyway.)

DTV on linux can be had for $170 per card (with up to 4 cards in a
system, for those of you who want to build a MythTV box.)
http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_3000.html

If you're way itno "just do it in software" (and damn the Broadcast
Flag, for when they eventually get it passed), then you could spend
about $650 on a USSR + TVRX from ETTUS Research: http://www.ettus.com/
These run GNU Radio
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/

I may end up with one for some "experimentation".   When I do, I'll see
about bringing it to some meeting or other.

Of course, you'll learn more watching the *other* screen.  :-)

Since I sorta mentioned Software Defined Radio (GNU Radio implements a
SDR) I should also mention a plethora of SDR-based information here:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/sdr.html

And of course, what every geek HAM wants for Christmas:
http://www.flex-radio.com/  (Also has a full GPLed SDR stack.)

Jim