[LUAU] Slingbox @ CompUSA

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Sep 22 12:52:28 PDT 2005

Tim Newsham wrote:

> Interesting product.  Unfortunately my wee little uplink from verizon
> just wouldn't cut it.

This is something I am very much interested in finding out.  768kbs may
not be as bad as we think (depends on the compression I suppose).  There
is another option called ORB, which requires a PC at the transmitting
end.  The Sling is a standalone box.

> I've often wondered why PBS dumps a ton of money into HDTV instead of
> streaming their content online.

Streaming video is for the general public, whereas HDTV is for those who
can afford one.  When the president of CPB used to be a co-chainperson
of the you-know-what party, which way do you think the funding is going
to go.  Wayne

(The last comment is clearly improper here, will never do that again.
Too much Katrina/FEMA.)