[LUAU] San Disk USB Flash Drive on FreeBSD

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Sep 19 11:32:04 PDT 2005

I don't have a 1.0GB thumb drive, but I do have a 512MB one.   I keep
it on my keyring, its handy that way.

Back when I bought it 512MB was the 'knee' in the cost curve.  As
with all things electronic, the curve has moved.
Still, you shouldn't notice any difference other than the additional
capacity.

'shutt'e' is my XPC-based, slightly out of date, FreeBSD-Current box.
As soon as FreeBSD 6.0 has a stable xen port, it will run Xen, linux
2.6 and FreeBSD.

I plugged it into the handy USB port on the front of the box, and...
walla!
[shuttle] ~> dmesg
umass1: SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro, rev 2.00/20.33, addr 3
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
da1: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2033> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: 500MB (1024000 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 500C)
[shuttle] ~> sudo mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt
[shuttle] ~> ls /mnt
Cub Scouts                              doc-idea
eTech 13.doc                          LISP
etech ppt 2.ppt                        Netgate
tposscon-bu.sxi                      tposscon.sxi
[shuttle] ~> sudo umount /mnt
[shuttle] ~> head -2 /etc/motd
FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT (GENERIC+ath) #0: Wed Jun 15 15:33:10 HST 2005

[shuttle] ~>

Note the presence of my TPOSSCON 05 presentation (and backup), in the
appropriate Open Office file format.  :-)

Your device name may not be 'da1', otherwise the above should work
for you.

jim