[LUAU] OT: Looking for networks

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sun Sep 18 04:43:12 PDT 2005

Man, I'd love to work at Mauna Kea.

And I've worked at 12K ft in Indonesia (FMM's 'Grasberg' mine in
Tembagapura) before, so I don't think the altitude would kick my
behind too badly.   http://www.aig.asn.au/freeport_mine.htm   You
know you're high when there are tropical glaciers are near-by.   Want
some real fun?  Take a chopper ride at that altitude.  (Base camp is
at 9200.)

  While the Carstensz glacier  isn't the world's only tropical
glacier, it does lay uncontested claim to the highest elevation
(4883m/16020ft) between the Himalayas and the Andes.  Note as well
that Mauna Kea is too short to keep a glacier going.  If you go up
high enough mountains, anywhere on the planet, it gets cold enough to
allow for glacier formation if there is sufficient precipitation. Of
course, near the tropics you have to climb higher than far up north
or way down south near the poles, where sea-level glaciers are
nothing special. Tropical glaciers in today’s climate require
elevations of at least 4700 meters: anything lower will eventually
melt, like it or not.

This makes sense if we remember the basic rule-of-thumb for altitude-
temperature correlation: one degree Centigrade for every 100 meters
of elevation. This applies to dry air. In Irian’s humid climate, the
rule is somewhat different: 0.6¼ Centigrade for every 100 meters. The
scientific term for this process of cooling (or heating, if you are
headed downhill) of air is called the adiabatic lapse rate. Starting
with the average moist air at 27¼ Centigrade (80F) on the south coast
in Irian, (or Hawaii) we would have to hike up to around 4730 meters
(15420ft) to reach 0¼ Centigrade. At this point, precipitation
collects as snow and ice. This elevation curve which cuts across the
rugged landscape is called the zero degree isotherm. Here is where
precipitation no longer falls as rain but as snow, compacted to ice.
Put in other words, if you get up high enough, even in the tropics,
it’s cold enough to keep glaciers happy.

Still, that was > 10 years ago and I'm > 40 now.   Never can tell.
And yes, they're raping the environment, and no, I didn't go back
(even though the money was great.)   I did get to build a nice data
network so the mining software could run down at base camp, where it
was *much* easier to keep the computers cool.

This whole thread is.... just so wrong.   If you don't like the price
thats offered, say so (or stay silent).  But kibitzing from the side
about the Cost of Living in Hawaii?  Well, its not really any worse
than Boston, or other parts on the mainland.

Market forces at work, and all that.

Anyway, if you know of any linux/unix hacker jobs at Mauna Kea, I'm
in.   Google reveals some sysadmin/netadmin jobs
http://www.gemini.edu/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=10#unix
and a slim number of hacker jobs:

http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/jobs/

(Are there good schools for the kid in Hilo?)

Jim