[LUAU] Open Source Pizza - October 18, 2005

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Oct 17 00:41:53 PDT 2005

Angela Kahealani wrote:
> <snip>

Jim (& I am sure yourself too) has a wide spectrum of knowledge.  Any
discussion here can be a potential subject of his not-yet-titled Pizza talk.

As I mentioned, I had very high expectations for Sun and
Solaris_10/OpenSolaris.  But after a while Sun really reminds me too
much of Microsoft (actually an unsuccessful Microsoft wanna-be).  For
example, there was an obviously deeply flawed article about Linux vs.
Solaris.  This article was so cluelessly one-sided, even the Slashdot
didn't bother to ridicule it.  But the OpenSolaris homepage treated it
as a big deal and even placed this article on its front page.  So go figure.

IMHO, only morons or government agencies will buy new SPARCs.  Sun has
supposedly ported Solaris 10 to Athlon64, but there are too few users
(yet) to make one feel comfortable adopting it for business use.

I remember we used to have at least a couple Solaris loyalists on this
forum.  That indeed was my main reason for being interested in
OpenSolaris.  I hope maybe we could hear from them also.  Wayne