[LUAU] Open Source Pizza - October 18, 2005

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Sun Oct 16 12:17:11 PDT 2005

To keep this posting on topic for the Subject line
(versus hijacking the thread)
what IS the recipe for the Pizza?
(Open Source Pizza).

On Sun, 2005-10-16 07:05, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> Angela Kahealani wrote:
> > so, what's YOUR experience with OS?
>
> Very "negative" (note the "minus one" ranking that I gave)--I will
> try to discuss that in separate threads.  That's why I am asking
> whether anyone here has a different experience.  I would very much
> like to hear it.

It looks to me like one of the most interesting, though not least
expensive ways to try out Open Solaris is on a JBox:
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8249150994.html

> I compared OpenSolaris with Linux, b/c Sun's CEO Scott McNealy
> declared that we should consider Solaris as a "variant of Linux".  Of
> course this was six months, his position might have changed.

Sun's position seems to change daily. duh. (daily cycle ;-)
and "please consider our 'open' software" like you'd consider Linux
fails miserably as near as I can tell by their license's terms.
You gotta be signifigantly ahead of Linux in some area to justify taking
the proprietary license "hit".

> But it is probably not fair to compare OS with Linux, as OS was
> debuted just four months ago.  That said, if Sun couldn't  quickly
> get more developers/end-users interested in OS beyond the existing
> Solaris community, I doubt anything will be different years from now
> (& the migration to Linux will continue).

My prediction unless they GPL the source. GPL wins in the long run.
Why? because it actually reflects the true spiritual nature of human
souls. Coomerce is anti-life.

> In my brief adventure with OS, I also had the pleasure to encounter
> quite a few very sincere, hard-working, and earnest Sun employees.

Doing what they're paid to do.

> But there is also a huge (as I have sensed) internal politics.  "Too
> little, too late" may not be the only problem, internal rigidity
> (which has been perceived as "arrogance") may be another.

$ are addictive, and Sun made plenty $ on government contracts, and the
general commercial world is not so freely spending of $ as the
military. Lower our prices?

> Since both you and Jim, among perhaps several others, are Sun alumni,
> I apologize if I said something incorrect.  Wayne

Being a Sun Microsystems alumni doesn't mean that {I,we} {a,we}re in
agreement with any particular Sun policies. Otherwise, we might still
"be there". Rigid arrogance is not new in upper management there.

Especially being a Sun alumni, I've periodically investigated the
possibility of running a Sun system, and in later years with
OpenSolaris, the possibility of running OS on x86 hardware, and every
evaluation I've done since 1985 shows it costs more to do less.
HOWEVER, it'll probably keep doing less for more 24/7 for decades...

Sun may still trump the server farm (soon to be replaced with IBM/Linux)
but workstations are moving to Linux on x86. Even Apple is 90% of the
way into the BSD/GNU/Linux/OSS movement. I suspect a merger of
Windblows with MacOSuX to keep Mac-rosoft afloat.

I recently saw a stastic that 90% of computers are infected with
spyware, and I'm sure that correlates with MicroSoft market share.
That has to end, and only MacOSuX can rescue them. MSOrifice on MacOSuX
is the closest thing to competition Linux has. As OpenOffice perfects,
and as xorg and gnome and kde keep growing, there is ever less of an
edge that either MS or Apple can field.

Back in 1982 when I hired into 3Com to do the hardware diagnostic on the
Ethernet controller 3Com subcontracted to build for the Apple Lisa,
3Com was putting all it's energy into PC e-mail and had JUST dumped
their entire product line of Unix compatible products. I argued with
Bob Metcalfe that Unix was the future, and they were fools. I, of
course, as an engineer, was correct... only it's now called Linux, and
Bob Metcalfe, the entrepreneuer (did I get enough "e"'s in there?) was
correct that to maximise HIS profits, he had to foist on the world
crappy software for 2 decades while Richard Stallman and the GNU
company replaced the expensive LICENSE for superior technology.
The only reason it's not already a unix world is all the profit that
AT&T and Sun Microsystems had to make on Licenses. Once you free the
license (GPL), there's no stopping OSS.

So, are Apple's semiopen license or Sun's semiopen license any
competition for GNU/Linux? No, they're just signs of corporations
seeing the writing on the wall about their time being limited.

We set out to replace your hierarchically controlled profitmongering
with sovereign software, and triumph we will.

Anyone not yet seen the movie "The Corporation"? GPL is the antidote.
GNU/Linux on x86 IS ALREADY the defacto standard for introduction of any
new computing technology. Everyone else is now playing "catch-up".

Aloha, Kahealani

--
All information and transactions are non negotiable and private
between the parties. All rights reserved without prejudice.