[LUAU] SMP kernel wierdness

Charles Lockhart lockhart at IfA.Hawaii.Edu
Mon Nov 21 13:24:03 PST 2005

My workplace just got a bunch of dual athlon 64 x2 machines that we're loading centos 4.x on and using to replace our older Sun machines.  Unfortunately, we get wierd behaviors when running the SMP kernels.  Bursty keyboard interrupts (you can be typing just fine when suddenly the system speeds up and iiiiiiiiiittttttttt'''''''''l look likeeeee ttttttthhhhhhhis) and timing issues (the system clock seems to gain 7 minutes every hour).

Switch to the single processor kernel and all the problems go away.

Some of them are from Monarch Computer Systems, which supposedly puts out pretty reliable Linux boxes.  Others are from other vendors, but the same hardware configs.  All have wierd behaviors with the SMP kernel.

Any recommendations?  Computer related I mean.  Right now considering how much we have going on we're thinking of just punting and hoping it'll go away with a later kernel update.

-Charles