[LUAU] Re: Free Software will Make you Younger

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sat Nov 12 02:09:11 PST 2005

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Bully wrote:
>
>> Warren Togami wrote:
>>
>>> "Free Software will Make you Younger"
>>>
>>> The uninitiated would read "Free Software" and "Make you Younger"
>>> and immediately assume it is spam.  Just a random thought...
>>>
>>> Warren Togami
>>> wtogami at redhat.com
>>>

>> Even the "initiated" would read 'spam' out of those headings.
>> Just thought I'd share, yet, another random thought!
>
> Perhaps the initiated and/or the uninitiated will read this as an
> obvious mockery both of spam and of the hype that surround FOSS.  I
> used the same approach in my UOP announcements.  Humor, anyone?

My spam filters (both at the SMTP end as well as Thunderbird) didn't
kick in for this message (or subsequent messages in the thread), and I
reject or filter about 85% of all mail presented at the SMTP port on
netgate.com.  (And still deal with just under 1,000 messages per day.)

Here's what Spam Assasin generated for Scott's message (the one I'm
replying to here).

autolearn=ham version=3.1.0

(note that I'm not running the stock Debian package.)

Note also that the score is "minus 2.5", so its nowhere close to the
required threshold to be marked as SPAM.

If you're still filtering the majority of SPAM 'by hand', I ... have pity?

While Thunderbird is "Free Software, Spam Assassin is  "Open Source"
(but not "Free Software", though for close to stupid and trivial
reasons, since Spam Assassin is covered by the Apache Software License):
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Jim